20 Jul Two-in-five Saskatchewan residents have little or no understanding of the provincial and federal fire codes and regulations
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 20, 2017
In a recent independent poll conducted by Insightrix Research Inc., 39.8% of Saskatchewan residents state they have little or no understanding of the provincial and federal fire codes and regulations. Another 54% state they hold a basic understanding of fire codes while only 6.2% claim to fully understand fire codes and regulations. Higher proportions of women (44.9%), compared to men (34.5%), state they have little or no understanding of the provincial/federal fire codes and regulations.
Despite the lack of understanding, overall, a strong majority of residents (91.6%) state they feel safe from fire in their homes. Only 8.4% claim they do not feel safe from a fire in their home. Feelings of safety from a home fire tend to increase with age as 94.8% of those aged 55 and older state they feel safe, compared to 88.4% of those aged 18 to 34.
Among residents who rent their dwelling, 67.4% believe their rented property meets fire safety codes and regulations. Another 12.5% believe their rented dwelling does not meet the codes/regulations while 20.1% are unsure.
Perceived in-home fire management among home owners
The majority of Saskatchewan residents who own their homes (92.8%) feel fire safety in their home is well managed (either somewhat or very well). However, the remaining 7.2% feel at home fire safety is poorly managed (either somewhat or very poorly). Sentiments are largely consistent across demographic variables.
Again, among residents who own their homes, 83.8% feel they carry enough fire insurance for their dwellings. Another 3.4% believe they do not carry enough while 12.8% are not sure. Interesting to note, 88.4% of men feel they have enough home fire insurance, compared to 79.2% of women. Further, older respondents (89.3% of those aged 55 and older) feel they carry enough fire insurance, compared to only 75.9% of those aged 18 to 34.
A total of 807 randomly selected SaskWatch Research® panel members participated in the online research study on July 12 through 14, 2017. Quotas were set by age, gender and region to match the general population of the province. Since the research is conducted online, it is considered to be a non-probability proportion sample and, therefore, margins of error are not applicable.
About SaskWatch Research®
Insightrix began developing its SaskWatch Research® online market research panel in October 2007, using high quality techniques, including telephone recruitment and referrals from existing panel members. Presently, there are over 15,000 active panel members, representing all regions of the province and distributions of the general population. The panel membership closely matches the 2011 Census based on age, gender, household composition, household income and education. For more information, please visit http://saskwatch.ca.
Insightrix is a dynamic, Western Canadian, full-service market research company. It exists to serve businesses and government entities with insights-driven research solutions and interpretive analysis through leading-edge tools and senior-level expertise, across a broad range of industries. Insightrix is based in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada.
For more information, please contact
Dylan Cody, Senior Research Associate
Insightrix Research Inc.
Tel: 306.657.5640 ext. 238